King’s Grant, a beautiful 120-acre retirement community with approximately 190 residents and a premier employer located in Martinsville, Virginia is seeking a Plant Operations Director. King’s Grant has 146 resident units, consisting of cottages, duplexes and apartments in addition to a skilled nursing unit. King’s Grant is one of three campuses in the Sunnyside Retirement Communities family, a non-profit, faith-based organization with its corporate headquarters in Harrisonburg, Virginia. This highly visible role will be part of the King’s Grant senior leadership team.
Reporting to the Executive Director, the Plant Operations Director is responsible for planning, organizing and directing the maintenance, repair and renovation of buildings and grounds; planning and developing facilities and new construction as needed; ensuring that jobs are completed on-time, on-budget, within regulatory guidelines and as contracted. Prepares and manages the annual operating and capital expenditure budgets. Leads the Buildings and Grounds team.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plans, develops and organizes preventive maintenance programs. Collaborates with other department leaders to implement maintenance services with minimal disruption to business operations.
- Ensures that all regulatory requirements are met: CMS surveys, fire inspection, elevator inspections, all sprinklers systems including required quarterly inspections, generator test and logs, quarterly fire drills for all three shifts
- Develops long and short range maintenance plans/programs (emergency response plans, energy management plans, winter weather plans), ensuring that resources are effectively utilized.
- Directs projects (site repairs, construction, maintenance) and inspects new construction, repair work, projects, equipment, work orders, daily maintenance and supplies to ensure that jobs are completed within established time frames, project design and budget. Ensures specifications for capital projects and improvements are within local/state/federal regulations.
- Approves inspection reports and payment requests. Ensures that work is complete per specifications prior to authorizing payment.
- Ensures that labor, time and material costs are accurately coded to the correct project so that project costs can be monitored.
- Ensures that all contractors are licensed for the work they are to perform, bonded and insured to the levels required to mitigate liability and risk for the community.
- Supervises bidding process and ensures that process is consistent with community fiscal policies.
- Accountable for all supplies and materials purchased by the community.
- Monitors projects for contract leakage and takes action to ensure that costs are reasonable and contained.
- Responsible for hiring, evaluating and supervising Buildings and Grounds team. Approves time and payroll. Ensures that Building and Grounds team members have the skills, experience, qualifications and training to support all work performed.
- Ensures that all work by employees or contractors is performed safely.
- Addresses safety and environmental concerns expressed by residents or employees and ensures follow up and communication.
- Determines criteria for in-sourcing or out-sourcing construction/maintenance activities.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Education and/or Experience equivalent to a Bachelor’s Degree in business or industrial management or a related field.
- Certifications which may be pertinent to the position: CPMM, CFM, CMRP, CMMO
- Preferred Licenses: Contractor’s License (b) Preferred only
- Ability to read blueprints
- 10 or more years of experience in Facilities Management
- Experience in continuing care retirement community or healthcare setting preferred
- Competent in Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook. Willingness and ability to master timekeeping, payroll, scheduling, reporting and other systems as required
- Valid driver’s license
- Ability to work a schedule that is consistent with the needs of the campus (nights, weekends and holidays may be required)
Sunnyside Communities is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Nothing in this job posting or description should be construed as an offer or guarantee of employment.
Donna Donahue, Director of Human Resources
Date Listed: February 24, 2017